Bishop Lipót Kollonich of Győr, who was the primateship of Esztergom, later signed Győr as a place for the Carmelite order from Germany to settle down. In 1697 three Carmelite monks came to our town to buy parcels for the Carmelite order.
They chose the Perger house that is close to the Bécsi kapu square. They built a chapel and some cells that were ordained in the same year. In one year the number of congregants grew so much that they asked for the building that was next to it even though it was in bad condition from King Lipót I.
They got it and they began redevelopment on the building. They worked on it for 20 years but at the end they had to demolish the original building since the foundation was in terrible condition. This is how Athanáz‘s brother (whose civil name was Márton Wittwer) got the plan for the new friary and church. Many other ecclesiastical buildings belong to his name in Győr such as: the Chapels of the Kálvária hills and the Church of the German Ispita Church.
The work began in 1714. At first the western part of the friary that is parallel with the Rába river was finished. Then in 1725 the church was finished. The building was unique structurally, since the base was an oval shape and the tower was separated. We can see statues of Virgin Mary, Saint Teresa of Avila and John the Baptist on the frontispiece.
The paintings of the side-altars were made by Martino Altomonte who was Austrian painter from Naples. The statues of the saints were made by Ferdinand Stuflesser in the 19th century. He was from South Tirol. Not too many people know his name but he carved one of the wooden altars of the Saint Antal Basilica in Padova also.
At the right side of the church we can find one of the most beautiful baroque statues in Hungary which is the Mary statue in one of the open chapels. According to historians the maker of this statue is Giovanni Giuliani who was born in Venice and settled down in Vienna in 1690. He was one of the artists who we can thank for spreading Northern Italian baroque style in Austria and in the other areas of the Monarchy. He was friends with Altomonte who painted the frescoes of the church. Their graves are next to each other in the cemetery of the Heiligenkreuz’s Monastery.
The statue is the first memorial of Győr’s floods. It got its name after they thought she stopped the flood of the Rába river. It was made of limestone in 1735. It was blue and originally it was located at the Sétatér, on the Radó island at the castle side. As we see from the text on the bass, it was renovated in 1861 and then it was moved to its current location in 1891.