Győr’s compelling Baroque main square with a water feature in the summer months, is the centre of the city’s life and events.
ESTERHÁZY PALACE (Király u. 17.): The building is currently functioning as the principal location of Flóris Rómer Art and History Museum and it houses the permanent exhibition of the Dr. Béla Radnai collection. Featured on the balcony above the gate, we can see the original owner’s initials, C(omes) G(abriel) E(sterházy).
“IRON STOCK HOUSE” (Széchenyi tér 4.): Legend has it that the building was named after the old trade sign under the corner-balcony, the “iron stock”, which was covered in nails that journeymen had knocked into it when they came to Győr.
LORD ABBOT’S HOUSE (Széchenyi tér 5.): It was built by the archabbot of Pannonhalma in 1741–1742. This splendid Baroque palace is home to the exhibition on local history.
OLD CITY HALL (Rákóczi u. 1.): In 1848, Lajos Kossuth delivered a recruiting speech to the people of Győr from its forged-iron balcony.
COLUMN OF ST. MARY: The monument at the centre of the square was erected by local bishop Lipót Kollonich, in 1686, to commemorate the town’s reconquest from Turkish occupation.
BENEDICTINE BUILDINGS: Church, monastery, school were built by Jesuits in the 17th century. Still in its original function, the Baroque-style pharmacy museum also features a local invention, the gastric stapler.
STATUE OF ÁNYOS JEDLIK AND GERGELY CZUCZOR: Two distinguished former teachers of the Benedictine school, inventor and
physicist Jedlik and literary man Czuczor were cousins and also close friends.