Most people think that this neoromantic building is a castle but it is actually a Theological College and Seminary Institution. It was built between 1909 and 1910 through the order of Bishop Miklós Széchenyi.
Hlatky- Schlichter, a local stone-mason business, constructed the building designed by architects György Ziegler and Sándor Aigner. It can hold more than 100 students and has four floors and two chapels.
The Theological College and Seminary Institution was named after Blessed János Boldog who was a student of this seminary. He was famous for his love for the people and his bravery. His motto was a Bible verse that is Romans 8:28: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” He lived and served the Lord and his community at the four small villages that are close by Szentgotthárd.
Communist dictatorship thought he was dangerous and they wanted to remove him from his position. When he did not want to leave, the communist dictatorship “left the case” for the locals who could be set on fire with hate. János Brenner was 26 years when he was killed on Christmas in 1957. There is no information about how many people attacked him and what really happened, but we know that he was stabbed with a knife 32 times, they beat him brutally and there were shoe marks on his priest collar.
There is still great respect for him at the villages where he served and after a long process he was beatified in 2018.
Győr Megyei Jogú Város Önkormányzata
9021 Győr, Baross Gábor út 21.
+36 96 311 771